Saturday, 3 September 2011

Edinburgh: TAKE ONE

Wake up, rise and shine...at about 7 in the morning for me. What an early start to the day, but I have a 4 and a half hour train ride to take in (and rest) before I arrive in Edinburgh. Have had this trip booked for a while; to see my cousin Kelly and her boyfriend James. I could not wait to explore the place, as I have herd so much from when my mother and father went, and just from what Kelly has said on the odd occasion. This place, I know if FULL of history, and being a history nerd like myself, I was ready and waiting to be bamboozled by what was on offer.

So I arrived around 12 noon, and set up my belongings in Kelly's flat. Which, was up three flights of stairs. Beautiful and spacious, which is a change from some of the houses and flats I have seen. So, hence it being lunch time I headed off in search of some food which I found at a place called Rocksalt. Was served by an Australian and a New Zealander made my hot chocolate. Did I take the wrong train or something??? So with food in my belly, which as you people know, I need otherwise I get CRANKY, I was off and got lost. But good lost.

For the evening, we meet up with a few of Kelly's friends, who had booked a show for us all to see called Frisky and Manish. FANTASTIC! It was based on the audience being apart of a school situation, wanting to become pop stars. We were categorised into 5 various groups, including the Britney's, the Justin Beibers (duh!), and a few others. The two of them proceeded throughout the show to sing very well known songs, but with a twist. One of my favourites was a point Frisky made, that no artist can actually sing nowadays. There is so many instruments via computers, and auto tune so anyone can therefore become a pop start. Then the beginning of this song started, just the piano...



And the whole audience just had a little giggle, gasped, a few "YESSSSS's " were said, and then she began to sing. Now, she was no Adele, but boy oh boy, she sung the song like her life depended on it. AMAZING!

The show was such a great one, and for two people to completely captivate an audience, that is pure skill. And such variety, range and pure skill they both had.

Watch a little snip below, but imagine  it all in a purple cow (The Udderbelly, a venue during the Fringe Festival).


(Sorry, cant attach video here)

So, photo time now...



Sites from the train ride...





Another Castle. I would tell you more about it, as I am in wonder as to how old the place is, and who lived and lives there...but I have no idea where exactly I was at the time.

 
Light house. Stunning to be riding through farm land after farm land, then suddenly see the sea dropping down beside you. Not summer weather, but still pretty.
 
Hello Edinburgh
View from my room at Kelly's. This looks right into Edinburgh CBD (if you can really call it that...this place is like a large village rather than a city per say. Compared to London anyway. This view was accompanied by the sing song of seagulls every morning, as we were in Lieth, which is right by the sea. More about Lieth to come..."Its a small world after all..."

Edinburgh Castle, which had the Edinburgh Tattoo on, every night while I was there. Sadly I didn't go as the tickets sold out in June. But I really want to go next year!

 




No comments: