Saturday, 26 May 2012

The Jewish Museum


This is a place where I studied the history at high school and the architecture at university. I did not know what to expect, nor could I conjure up the exact look, let alone feel, of such a place. Until I visited while in Berlin.

Everyone knows the history, and some might know what the architecture. But what one feels within the space cannot be studied. Every detail, every tone and colour, every whip of air that travels through a gap between the walls. 

I will however not one of the rooms which I did not take any photos of. The building itself is rather confusing, like Daniel wanted to to be. There is no warning when walking towards this room, but the hallway towards it has a ceiling which lowers down the further you walk up and pathway. On both the right and left hand sides, there are notes, photographs and various other remnants from the times in question. 

And the end of this walk way, there is a man standing by a door. This almost square door, floor to ceiling in height. Do bear in mind the the ceiling height at this point is close to my height, around 5 foot 10. The girls went in through this door without me realising. I looked at the man, whole closed the door in front of me, and said that I had to wait. I will give him credit for smiling at me. It was well needed after reading what I just read. While standing there waiting, there was a tour guide mentioning this room, called the "Room of Silence". He was not going to go in there and talk, look at the name of the place. So I thought, no photos either.

When I was able to enter, there was a sudden rush of cold, airy and almost loneliness. Perhaps that was because the girls were gone, but I was left in the room with one other woman, and two men. One large coughamericancough who just did not get the concept of the Silent Room. I stared him down with my 'shut the hell up, you pig' eyes.

The ceiling seems to be unreachable, hard, cold and with one slight window of light. Behind the door, about 10 feet up began a ladder. No one could reach it. That was the point. And where it leads to, it was too dark to tell.

This space is meant to represent you know what, and it felt that way. It didn't look at way, but that feeling is something one is lost for words to describe.

So no photos, but where are some I did capture of the space.


No comments: