The next few days were spent saying goodbye's to various Beeson children, all going their different ways home and to uni. And this meant it was getting closer to me going back to London, and I wasn't liking the feeling. I didn't even get this feeling when I left New Zealand, I didn't know what was going on.
I did a bit of last minute shopping at J. Crew, Sephora and the Apple Store. Yea, they made me do it. And thanks new found friend for the discount.
While I was out roaming the streets of Chicago all by myself, and getting asked for directions...yes I am a local thankyouverymuch, I was absolutely puzzled on how I could thank this AMAZING family for taking me in and allowing me to crash their holiday plans. Flowers? No. Vase or platter? No. Book? No. Nothing was coming to mind that could really show my appreciation.
Cue light bulb.
Pavlova.
Yea, I know its not enough, but its something.
I had an absolute blast in this part of the world, so much so that I was job hunting on the third day I was there. Not only were the people that I was staying with just the bees knees (yes, I am running out of adjectives here), but just the Chi Town people in general. Even the sweet homeless guy wished me a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, which was a nice change from London where you have to scrap the bottom of the bowl for even a sober smile.
I realised I didn't want to leave when, on the last night I was packing, just before a big family soup cook off dinner, I found myself crying. Yea, actually balling. Glad the house has dimmed lighting. And the next day when I was dropped off at the airport and I could no longer see Thom, I balled. And on take off I balled. And when I fell asleep on the plane, and woke up about three hours later because my face was wet, yea, I was bloody crying again. Poor guy beside me, it was his first time flying and he was stuck next to me. A uncontrollable crier, who was laughing at her movies and taking pills. Which I had to assure him several times that they were jet lag pills. He hadn't heard of such a thing, nor such a place as NZ. Poor Kentucky boy.
I will remember this place and cannot wait to go back. For work possibly. I really did feel at home.
Ahh, get me back there NOW please.

No comments:
Post a Comment